DANIEL S. PAUL
SAM BARLOW HIGH SCHOOL • BRUIN PRIDE
The Daniel Paul Scholarship will be awarded, for the first time, to a 2023 graduating senior from Barlow High School. The desire is for the generous fund to go to a student-athlete that has inspired and energized others, as Daniel did while at Barlow. Someone who, like Daniel, has a spirit of kindness and courage, generosity and joy and one with whom athletics and friendships anchored their time at Barlow. This is for any student-athlete, of any gender or any sport.
DANIEL SCOTT PAUL
Daniel Paul loved everything about being a Barlow Bruin. He loved his friends, his teachers, his coaches, his classes. He loved the moments he shared and the memories he made while in high school. He graduated from in 2007, with a 3.4 GPA, a true student athlete who was active in the classroom, the courts, the fields, and in the hallways. He fully embraced the student life at Barlow. Daniel competed in baseball, basketball, track and while he loved every sport, he mostly loved football. He excelled on the gridiron.
Upon graduation, Daniel accepted a fullride scholarship to Boise State University where he was the starting fullback for the team for four years, 2008-2012. He played on the biggest of stages while at Boise, playing in multiple post-season bowl games and on a team that lost only 5 games in his five years as a player.
After graduating from Boise State, Daniel returned to Oregon with a Bachelor’s Degree and started working for his family construction business, Paul Brothers Inc, based in the Barlow community. As the Superintendent on many projects, Daniel inspired his crews, and created a team spirit amongst project Owners, Architects and Subcontracts every day with his infectious energy, knowledge and easy style. He loved being outside, working in the field of construction, building parks and ballfields and trails, all that now have his lasting mark.
Sadly, and tragically, Daniel passed away, without any warning signs in his sleep July of 2019, just days after turning 30. He left behind his wife of four years, Kati, and his 15 month old son Davy, as well as a large family that loved him immensely.
In his honor, the Paul family established the Daniel Paul Charitable Fund, and the Daniel Paul Scholarship. This scholarship will award funds to student athletes and provide donations to worthy causes and events in his memory.
The Daniel Paul Scholarship will award an annual scholarship to a Barlow High School student-athlete who will be attending college upon graduation. The scholarship is funded upon successfully graduating, is paid directly to the student’s college of choice and is a one-time only scholarship. The scholarship is funded at $5,000.
DUE DATE: FEBRUARY 22, 2023
Applicants must meet the following requirements and provide the listed materials:
- Graduate from Barlow High School and college-bound
- 3.2 GPA or higher
- Have participated in sports and athletics throughout their high school career
- Be able to demonstrate active participation in student life and/or the community while in high school
- Embody many of the traits and attributes of Daniel Paul, including but not limited to leadership, athleticism, inquisitiveness, inclusivity, relentlessness, kind, generous, adventurous, compassionate…
HOW TO APPLY
Submit completed packets including the following:
- Application Download the application here (pdf)
- Letters of recommendation (choose 2-3 of the following: SBHS coach; SBHS teacher or administrator; community/employer/faith leader/mentor)
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Bring your completed application and all required documents/letters (see above) to the SBHS College and Career Center in hard copy form.
- Email your completed application (pdf) and required documents/letters (see above) to: email@example.com